Whether you are replacing your entire A/C system or simply repairing your outdoor unit, finding the right HVAC contractor for the job can be a difficult decision. When selecting an A/C contractor, there are times when it is in your best interest to obtain bids from several company, but which company should you choose?
Understandably, many people will simply select the lowest bidder without considering any other factors. After all, spending the least amount of money to get the job done is always favorable. But, as with many things in life, you often get what you pay for and air conditioning repairs and replacements are not any different.
When selecting A/C contractor, there should be other factors taken into consideration other than just the lowest bid. Your goal in selecting an HVAC contractor should be to find the right combination of price and qualifications. Furthermore, it is super important to understand that all of the bidders are including the exact same scope of work. It can be challenging to ensure that all bids are “apples for apples” when comparing prices.
While it may be tempting to simply select the lowest bidder, factors you should consider include:
- What are additional value-added services provided?
- Will the lowest bidder listen to and understand your needs?
- Will corners be cut to meet the budget set forth?
- Does the contractor have the proper insurance levels or insurance at all? Will they ensure their subcontractors are also properly insured?
- Does the contractor have the requisite personnel to properly supervise and oversee your project?
- By selecting the lowest bidder, are you sacrificing on the quality of materials? Are costs cut by using cheaper, inferior materials?
- Is the contractor’s license valid and in good standing with the Secretary of State?
- Will the work be completed within budget?
- Will the lowest bidder make up for their low bid by hitting you with hidden charges once the work is complete?
- Will your project be completed in a timely fashion?
- What is the contractor’s warranty track record?
- Communication and consideration of customer’s time
In contrast, a reputable air conditioning contractor will:
- Use quality materials and use quality, skilled technicians that will perform the work to meet or exceed the workmanship standards and requirements as designated by the appropriate code enforcement agencies.
- Maintain the proper levels and types of insurance
- Back the quality of their work and correct any issues that may arise during or after project completion
- Ensure your air conditioning needs are met and provide value-added services
- Be able to adapt if your needs change before, during or after the project is completed
- Have experience with similar projects that will allow for proper planning and to identify potential issues up front.
- Perform within the agreed upon timeline and schedule
- Have a track record of completing projects on schedule and within budget
There are many factors that go into selecting an air conditioning and heating contractor other than just price. The goal when selecting a contractor for any project is to find the right combination of price, quality, and qualifications for your needs. While selecting the lowest bid may save you money at the beginning, it may cost you much more in the long term.
Contact Air Kare and let us show you what we can offer you and your family or your business. We look forward to working with you and building a long-term relationship. A relationship that is built on quality, trust, transparency, and value.